GPX files are the most common format used for GPS tracklog files. But Google Earth accepts only KML files. Hence the need for a converter. I found this software called GPS Babel which converts GPX files to KML Files.
Here is a step by step instruction for converting GPX to KML:
- Download the GPS babel zip file from http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html
- Extract the zip file to a folder.
- Open the file GPSBabelGUI.exe.
- I used the following settings:
- Click on "Let's go"
- You should now see the following text in the message window
- gpsbabel.exe -p "" -w -r -t -i gpx -f "C:\TEMP DEL\Track saved on 2007-07-29 15_18_24.gpx" -o kml -F "C:\TEMP DEL\Track saved on 2007-07-29 15_18_24.kml"
- And then:
- Now you are ready to use the KML file. You can double click on the KML file that was just created to see the track log in Google Earth !
In my next post, I will probably list the steps that I followed to extract the track logs from my MIO C220 GPS to my computer.